Oft Repeated Words in which Shu’bah Recites Differently Than Hafs
This section explains words which Shu’bah recites differently than Hafs and this word occurs more than three times in the Qur’an. There are other words which are read differently, but occur less often. If Allah wills we will make a list of these words also.
1. Shu’bah reads the word wherever it occurs and however it occurs in the Glorious Qur’an with a kasrah on theباءas: . So the following exemplified words (there are more variations) are all recited with a kasrah on the letter :
2. The word
is read with a shaddah on the ذال wherever it occurs in the Qur’an. Shu’bah reads it then as:
The first occurrence occurs in surah Al-An’aam:153. .
3. Shu’bah reads the word whereverit occurs in the Qur’an with a sukoon on the letter :
The first occurrence is Al-Baqarah:168.
4. The word in all places in the Qur'an is read by Shu’bah without the واوafter the hamzah: .
This is first found in Al-Baqarah:143.
5. Shu’bah reads the word however it is conjugatedwith a dhammah on the as in: , in all places in the Qur'an except in aayah 16 of Al- Maai’dah. In this aayah (Al-Maa’idah 16) he reads it like Hafs with a kasrah on the . The first occurrence of this word is in Aali ‘Imraan:15.
6. When reciting the name of the Prophet peace be upon him, any place it occurs in the Qur’an, Sh’ubah reads this name with a hamzah on the end of the word:, and therefore there is , lengthened four or five vowel counts. This first occurs in Aali ‘Imraan:37.
7. The word is read by Shu’bah with a kasrah on the letter "عين", as: . It is read this way whether there is a واو before it or not, and no matter what the vowel is on the last letter. This first occurs in surah al-Hijr:45
8. Likewise the word is read by Shu’bah with a kasrah on the letter غين wherever it occurs in the Qu’ran. The first occurrence is in Al-Maa’idah:109.
9. Shu’bah reads the words and with a fathah on the ياء wherever they occur in the Qur’an. So they are read as: and . The first occurrence in the singular form is in surah An-Nisaa’:19, and the first occurrence in the plural form is surah An-Noor:34.
10. The words are read with a dhammah on the ميم at the beginning of the word by Shu’bah, who reads them as: .
The first occurrence is in surah Maryam:23. Hafs has the same reading as Shu’bah in Aali ‘Imraan aayat 157 and 158. In all other places in the Qur’an, Hafs reads with a kasrah on the first ميمin the word..
11. Shu’bah reads the words and with an added alif after the نون, reading it in the plural form. He therefore reads them as: and . The first occurrence of is in Al-An’Aam. The word is in Ya-Seen 67.
12. The word is read with a sukoon only on theياءby Shu'bah wherever it occurs in the Qur’an. He reads it as:. The first occurrence is Aali ‘Imran:27.
13. Shu’bah reads the word in Yusuf 109, An-Nahl 43, Al-Anbiyaa’ 7 and Al-Anbiyaa 35 with a ياءinstead of theنون as the first letter, and an alif instead of a ياءas the last letter. It is read by Shu’bah as .
14. Shub’ah reads with a kasrah on the last ياء instead of a fathah; so Shu'bah reads it as: in the following places: Yusuf:5, Luqman: 13, 16, and 17, and As-Saffaat:102. Both Hafs and Shu’bah read it with a fathah in Hud:43.
End of the lessons on the riwaayah of Shu'bah. There are other special words and a student of the riwaayah of Shu'bah should obtain a Shub'ah mushaf, or a list of all the special words for Shu'bah in order to read this way correctly.